Monday, February 2, 2009

Not So Super-Bowl

OK, so this is going to be a little off topic, but I am venting.....I have never, ever been a football fan...that is, until this season. My husband is a die-hard Jets fan, and this year they actually showed the slightest bit of competence - there was really a glimmer of hope for all fans that this was going to be their year (they had Brett Baby as their QB - how could they miss?) Well, we all know how that turned out. In the meantime, I ended up becoming addicted to watching football on Sundays. Never thought I'd say that in a gazillion years but I really got into the excitement of it all. I was slightly panicked when the Jets were looking really good, though, because I have a long standing bet with my husband that if the Jets ever made it to the Superbowl, he's not only getting tickets, but the best accommodations available. Who would doubt that was a safe bet all these years?

I remember the years I didn't like football. I would watch the Superbowl only for the commercials. I would watch the ads, then go back into the kitchen or do laundry when football came back on. Companies spent millions for their 90 seconds in the spotlight. They didn't care if their audience was drunk in someone's living room, drinking Buds and downing Hot Wings. Those were some very creative and fun commercials, and more often than not, those were the things being talked about the next day when people got together at work - not the game itself.

What happened to those commercials? Is the economy that bad that all they can show are car commercials? All car makes and models had their own commercial; and most times they were not funny. What's so funny about a car commercial reminding the working public that the economy is so messed up they may be out of a job any day now. If that happens though, never fear - you can give up your high end lease with no negative credit impact. Don't even worry about not putting food on the table or keeping a roof over your head - you can turn in your car that you probably couldn't afford even if you did keep your job. Now isn't that a relief!

The only commercial that had some potential? The Cash4Gold commercial Ed McMahon and MC Hammer. The two of them, with all their public problems with cash, we quite amusing showing how they needed to sell all their valuable gold items for cash. I was amused until they showed Ed McMahon rubbing the side of his golden toilet. Now there was an image that I didn't want to have - Ed McMahon sitting on the bowl saying "and heeeeeeeere's Johnny!"

No comments:

Post a Comment